Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Potted Plants

Yesterday was an incredibly hot day, and today is more of the same here in Ottawa. Summers here can get very hot and humid, so it's important to keep cool and stay hydrated. Most delicate flowers have already come and gone by now, but the heat hasn't affected the success of the lilies in the city! While I was walking yesterday, it got me thinking about what plants and flowers do the best in the hottest of the summer months here in Ontario. I certainly don't claim to be an expert, as my knowledge is basic at most when it comes to plants and flowers, but I have always really enjoyed being outside surrounded by trees and greenery. Once we eventually get our own home, I am very much looking forward to growing my own little garden! 

In any case, since that probably won't be a reality for at least another few years, I've been putting some thought into how to make our apartment a bit, well, greener! I personally love roses and peonies, but keeping fresh flowers like those in the house can be expensive, since they don't last forever and need to be replaced fairly frequently. 
What's really been getting my attention lately have been potted plants! When I was growing up, my grandparents always had a collection of cacti in their dinning room that always fascinated me. Lately, I've been really interested in getting a small cactus (or two!) and a few succulents to decorate our next apartment. They look so fresh and exotic and compared to most flowers, and are fairly low maintenance. I still have to figure out where in Ottawa I'll be able to find some of these little gems! If you've got any suggestions, please go ahead and post in the comments section below! Once I get some, I'll be sure to do a post all about how they look in our apartment and even more importantly, how to keep them alive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment